Why Did the Chicken Cross the Road?
The chicken crossed the road. This fact is rarely disputed. But why did the chicken cross the road? No fully satisfactory explanation has ever been given. At the fourth World-Chicken-Crossing-Conference, held in February 2005 at Henville, Teggsas, a team of distinguished scholars met to consider this matter in depth, but unfortunately no consensus was reached. Here follow twenty-five reasons given to explain the behaviour of the chicken. It is hoped that at the next*) conference further progress toward a definitive answer will be made.
1. All the other chickens crossed the road and this one didn't want to appear different.
2. All chickens cross roads sometimes and since there were lots of chickens around it was just a matter of time before some chicken crossed
the road and this chicken was the one.
3. Because it felt like it.
4. Because it needed the exercise.
5. Because it wished to avoid meeting the chicken it saw approaching.
6. Because that's what chickens do.
7. God ordained from the time of Creation that this chicken should come into the world and should cross the road exactly when it did.
8. Having spent days and nights searching its soul the chicken finally decided that it had to cross the road and did so.
9. It all depends on what is meant by "chicken", "road" and "cross".
10. It got bored.
11. It had a death wish.
12. It had already crossed the road 999 times that day and wanted to make it 1000.
13. It had always been intending to and finally decided today was the day.
14. It saw the rooster on the other side and wanted to get laid.
15. It wanted a change of scenery.
16. It wanted to be famous.
17. It wanted to catch the bus into town.
18. It wanted to show it was not a chicken.
19. It wanted to show it was a mean mother-fuckin' chicken.
20. It was a very confused chicken.
21. It was caught by a freak gust of wind.
22. It was collecting experiences for its next book.
23. It was part of a chicken conga line which happened to be crossing the road.
24. It was trying out its new pair of roller blades on the asphalt.
25. It was trying to find its roots.
*) to be published in "Joke of the week", February 2006!
back to joke(s) of the week (index) back to joke of the week (collection) back to homepage